First shot at a DIY lifting platform. I used five sheets of 2.50m x 1.25m plywood (9mm thick, birch) and a lot of 16mm wood screws. I was afraid the 1.25m might actually be too wide, but it seems ideal for a (primarily) deadlift platform. The usual approach is to also glue the (alternating) layers of plywood together, which would probably be a lot more durable - fewer air pockets and all - but I decided to go with screws only, because this platform doesn’t have to last forever and this way I might be able to reuse the wood should I rebase my garage gym, moving the 2.5m x 2.5m platform would be neigh impossible.
Now I just need some sealer for the top layer and rubber mats for the sides… and I hope the screws will suffice.
The price for this varies greatly with wood quality, wood thickness and so on, but costs a fraction of a “professional” lifting platform.
Flickr (or YahooID) decided, that it would not grant access to my account any more - apparently not knowing the location I’m connecting from is a reason to deny access. I could have reclaimed the account, if only I had not entered a faux phone number on registration (a picture hoster does not need my phone number, thankyouverymuch). Thankfully, my old laptop still had an active flickr login, so that I could at least all my data on there and I will self-host from now on.
For now it’s just some duct tape programming, since I’m also planning to get rid of the dependency hell that is the Ruby-Jekyll world.
So thanks flickr, I guess, for another reminder that you should not unnecessarily depend on third parties.